I’m sure if you’re like me you are probably tired of Giving Tuesday requests hitting your inbox. At LCDC, we decided to go in a different direction. Enjoy our year in review to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas, with an explanation below. Please sing along.
On the first day of Christmas, LCDC gave to me, a brand-new Douglass branch library*.
On the second day of Christmas, LCDC gave to me, tax returns and clean audits for 2018*.
On the third day of Christmas, LCDC gave to me, three gut rehabs of beautiful buildings*.
On the 4th day of Christmas, LCDC gave to me, four new foundations that gave us support that we need*.
On the 5th day of Christmas, LCDC gave to me 235 HOMEOWNERS IN THE NORTH LAWNDALE HOMEOWNER’S ASSOCIATION*!!
On the 6th day of Christmas, LCDC gave to me, new Canaan homes that we’ll build in the Spring*.
On the 7th day of Christmas, LCDC gave to me, LAZARUS APARTMENTS reborn also in the Spring*.
On the 8th day of Christmas, LCDC gave to me, 8 amazing board members that raise money*.
On the 9th day of Christmas, LCDC gave to me, 9 awesome staff and consultants that still believe!
Okay, I don’t have anymore for the last three days, but I will say that we are blessed to have an awesome Savior who continues to exceed our expectations about what is possible. Many times, we wondered where our help was coming from during some very trying times. The work we do is taxing and exhilarating.
We have lots to celebrate and also many things that make us scratch our heads and say, “Why Lord?” Ultimately, we are excited because our help comes from the Lord (Psalm 121:2) and through people like you that believe that every day people should be at the center of what happens in neighborhoods like North Lawndale.
1 . Library https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/11/25/after-years-of-neglect-north-lawndales-new-and-improved-library-is-open-thanks-to-community-members-who-fought-for-it/?mc_cid=5585eff353&mc_eid=3b97dd9806
2. When I came back in 2015, the financials were challenged to say the least. The last audit had been done in 2011 when I arrived. I am proud to say that all audits through 2018 are complete as well as Federal and State tax returns and we are finally on track to get them done on time for 2019.
3. We are finishing up 1500 S Keeler, 1316 S Millard and 1527 S Central Park. If you know of folks that want to buy, we’d love to sell them amazing two flats. Check out progress photos.
4. Thanks to the Enterprise Foundation, Polk Bros Foundation, Field Foundation and Chase Bank foundation who came back after an extended hiatus!! We appreciate our long term and new funders including MIGMIR, The Steans Family Foundation, Barney II Foundation, LISC Chicago, Bank of America, CIBC, Wieboldt Foundation, the Woods Fund, our LCCC church family and all our awesome individual donors!!
5. The North Lawndale Homeowner’s Association welcomed the Homan Square Home owner’s Association and the Albany Park Townhomes Home owner’s association in 2019. Our collective strength and energy will be a blessing in 2020.
6. We will be building brand new homes on vacant lots in 2020 starting near the Martin Luther King Apartments.
7. We look forward to the ground breaking for Lazarus Apartments next Spring. 48 affordable and beautiful apartments will be renovated for families in our community.
FINALLY. Our board has challenged us to get a match for our end of year giving. We have a board that is made up of folks without a lot of resources, but they will do what they can to match your giving up to $2000. Anything that you can give, we would greatly appreciate it and use it to springboard into 2020.